“Best friend” comforts you while you’re crying
There are many ASMR (Autonomous Sensory Meridian Response) videos on YouTube designed to comfort and calm people. ASMR is a tactile sensation that can be triggered by certain sounds, touch or visual stimuli, causing a tingling or pleasant sensation in the head or body. ASMR videos are often designed to create these sensations and can be used as a relaxation technique or to reduce stress.
Some examples of ASMR videos that can comfort people are:
It is common for women to take on the role of a trusted friend or confidant in ASMR videos to create an intimate and personal atmosphere. These videos are often referred to as ‘roleplay’ and can include different scenarios and roles, such as talking to a friend or performing a wellness treatment.
The idea behind these videos is to put the viewer in a positive and calming atmosphere and build a connection with them, much like a trusted friend or confidant. Many viewers report that these videos make them feel less lonely and build a positive emotional connection with the person featured in the video as you can see in the comments:
“Im so glad ASMR people exist, they are the only ones who care about me. Thank you for existing. I love you.”
What do you get from the videos:
Wiping your tears
Brushing your hair
Positive affirmations/Letting your feelings out
Giving you tea
Negative energy plucking
Comforting words & affirmations
Cutting your hair
Listening to you
…. and so on
There are not yet many scientific studies on ASMR and its effects on the body, but it is believed that when ASMR is triggered, hormones such as oxytocin and endorphins are released.
Oxytocin is a hormone often associated with empathy, social bonding and trust. It has been shown to be released during certain types of touch and physical closeness and can promote positive perceptions of interpersonal relationships.
Endorphins are chemical compounds in the brain that help to relieve pain and produce feelings of happiness. It is thought that endorphins are released when ASMR is triggered and can help to create a pleasurable sensation in the body.
- Stress reduction: ASMR videos can be used as a relaxation technique and can help reduce stress and anxiety.
- Improved sleep patterns: Many people use ASMR videos to help them fall asleep and report that they help them fall asleep faster and sleep deeper.
- Improved mood: ASMR videos can help promote a positive mood and emotions such as relaxation, happiness and contentment.
- Improved cognitive performance: some studies have shown that ASMR sensations can help improve cognitive performance, including concentration and memory.
- Pain relief: ASMR videos can also help reduce pain and create a pleasurable sensation in the body called an “endorphin rush”.
- Sensitisation: Some people report that regular use of ASMR videos makes them immune to the stimuli and they can no longer experience ASMR sensations. This is called sensitisation and may mean that the videos are no longer as effective.
- Addiction: As with any other relaxation technique, there is a risk of people becoming addicted to ASMR videos and using them as their main source of relaxation and stress relief. This can lead to a lack of other coping strategies and excessive consumption of ASMR videos.
- There is a possibility that the use of ASMR videos may lead people to seek less true human interaction and instead rely on videos as a primary source of comfort and relaxation.
- Mental health “experts” such as ASMR creators use their reach to sell nutritional supplements that have no proven effect.
There is a possibility that the use of ASMR videos may lead people to seek less true human interaction and instead rely on videos as a primary source of comfort and relaxation. If this is the case, it can lead to social isolation and loneliness.
I think it is important to note that ASMR videos are not a complete alternative to human relationships and interactions. Also, I would say that it is important to maintain real connections with other people and have social relationships in order to live a fulfilling and healthy life.
When ASMR videos are used as a way to relax and relieve stress, they should be used in combination with other healthy strategies such as exercise, meditation, social interactions and a balanced lifestyle.
The Problem with ASMR: https://youtu.be/f_NZGKQd0X0
ASMR wissenschaftlich erklärt: https://youtu.be/2gHNiqysuvs